If you are dealing with a really tight space that leaves no room for any type of lamps, whether it be table lamps or floor lamps, consider installing a chandelier. Chandeliers, however, only work in certain areas and this is a style that is not for everyone. Personally, when it comes to lighting that is installed from the ceiling, I prefer teardrop lighting fixtures.
Often installed in pairs, these lighting accents are a great way to add a little extra design to your home without taking up any room. Just like with lamps, the colors, shapes, and sizes for the teardrop shades can greatly vary.
My kitchen has a lot of plain and neutral colors, so for the two teardrop lighting fixtures above the bar area, I wanted something really colorful. The colors and design don’t contrast with the neutral colors in the rest of the room, but add a nice hint of color.
Just remember that size matters – when it comes to lamps, that is. While you should have fun and experiment with all the different sizes of lamps that are available, remember to keep your own unique space in mind. If you’re buying a table lamp for a teeny tiny end table, make sure that the table lamp is small, too. Purchasing a table tamp that is enormous and takes up your end table’s entire surface will not only look silly, but it is a recipe for disaster – it will only be a matter of time before it’s accidentally knocked over.
Almost just as important as the lamp you purchase is the type of lamp shade you decide to use, whether you are using the one that came with your lamp purchase or you want to purchase a new one. Here are some lamp shade tips:
- Want to add an illusion of height within your home? Select floor lamps with shades that are drum-shaped, tall, and slim.
- Is your home design simple and traditional? Choose a lampshade that is tapered.
- As long as they are not directly next to each other, purchase a lampshade that matches the color of your curtains. Don’t have curtains? Match the color of your flooring instead.
- Do you have accent pillows on your bed? When purchasing a lampshade for your bedroom’s nightstand, choose a color that matches those pillows.
- The translucency of a lamp shade is important to keep in mind as well. This will determine how much light the lamp gives off. In a room that has a more calm and relaxing ambiance, choose a lamp shade isn’t too translucent. Do the opposite, however, for rooms where you will need extra light – such as the living room or family room.
Get Weekly Steals and DIY's in Your Inbox!
- Yesterday, I was sending thoughts out into the Twitter-verse when I came across this gorgeous image from Elle Decor… »
- Gold Stones $Free, Allegra Hicks Placemat Set $9.99, Bracket Dinnerware $3.95-$6.95, Manchester Glass Set $128.00,… »
- Here is a breath of fresh air in the rug world. Lulu & Georgia carry accessories for all style types, glamorous,… »
Blogs To Check Out