Eat your heart out:
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup rum or brandy
- 4 cups day-old bread cubes
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tart apple, cored and cubed
While the raisins are soaking, preheat an oven to 325°F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish or 4 to 6 custard cups.
Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, butter, eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon extracts, and cinnamon until well blended. Stir in the bread cubes, apple, and raisins and rum. Let stand until the bread cubes soak up most of the liquid, about 5 minutes. Stir again and pour into the baking dish or divide among the custard cups.
Bake until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes for custard cups, 50 to 60 minutes for the baking dish. Remove from the oven and serve hot or at room temperature.
Get Weekly Steals and DIY's in Your Inbox!
- Yesterday, I was sending thoughts out into the Twitter-verse when I came across this gorgeous image from Elle Decor… »
- Gold Stones $Free, Allegra Hicks Placemat Set $9.99, Bracket Dinnerware $3.95-$6.95, Manchester Glass Set $128.00,… »
- Here is a breath of fresh air in the rug world. Lulu & Georgia carry accessories for all style types, glamorous,… »
Blogs To Check Out